Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Warrior Hugs

Peanut -


Last week I was forwarded another momma's blog (http://bissingfamily.wordpress.com/) who is in the midst of an awful tragedy.  One of her 6-month old triplets was found unresponsive in his crib, and while they were able to get his heartbeat back, they eventually had to make the heart-wrenching decision to end life support.  Through the amazing Children's Miracle Network, they were able to pass life along to numerous, waiting organ donation candidates, helping to ensure their little warrior - Owen - lives on.  Did you know that the name Owen means "warrior"?  How fitting.  His funeral was today, and everyone was asked to wear orange in celebration since that was his triplet color-code.  In honor of that request, tonight's picture is from your first birthday, when I mysteriously decided to dress you in orange, despite your bright-red themed Elmo birthday party...!


A comment on Owen's momma's blog included the following poem, which really spoke to me this evening.  I feel like so many friends are walking their own grief journeys right now, so I hope they find comfort in this...I know I did.


Something Beautiful Remains
The tide recedes but leaves behind bright seashells on the sand,
the sun goes down but gentle warmth still lingers on the land.
The music stops and yet it echoes on in sweet refrain…for every joy that
passes, something beautiful remains.


Peanut, keep an eye out for Owen.  He is still so young; I know he will need some guidance, playmates and friends in heaven.  I can't think of anyone better than you.  And, to everyone who reads this, please keep the Bissing family in your prayers.  His momma is hurting mightily right now, but also seems to be staying as strong as possible.  This will be a long, hard road for them. 

My sweet, loving Peanut who adored his friends, teachers, family - everyone.  I can only imagine the impact you're having in heaven.  And, I know you're watching and delighting in the giant impact you're still having on earth.  The Peanut Effect is in full force, day after day.  My hope is a part of your legacy includes our family helping to support families like the Bissings.  This journey is too hard to walk alone. And, sometimes, you just need someone who understands what it means to lose a child.  A child who is your heart.  Your present and future.  A giant piece of you.
I love you so much, sweet little Nutbrown Hare.  Sending you a big air kiss <MMMMWAH!> and a Momma Hug.  And, I know you'll share a Peanut Warrior Hug with little Owen.  I'm sure he needs it.
- Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment