Saturday, June 11, 2011

Story Time

Peanut -

I went to the bookstore today and found myself in the Children's area picking up books I thought you might enjoy.  Creating and adding to your book collection was one of my favorite pastimes, from even before you were born.   Peanut, I started collecting books for you back when I was in my 20s, when I knew I wanted children more than anything, and I just knew my kids would love books the way I love books.  And I was right.  You absolutely loved your books and nightly story time.

A wonderful artist named Felix Doolittle creates special, personalized stationary, tags and bookplates, including a collection for children (http://www.felixdoolittle.com/web/index.aspx).  Right after you were born I ordered you your very own "Connor Patrick" bookplates, and carefully inserted them in every special book I added to your book collection (see picture below).  I only have a few left, and I'm not sure what to do with them.  The rest of the bookplates live inside some of your most favorite books, like "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and also in books you never grew old enough to read..."The Velveteen Rabbit" and "Where the Wild Things Are" to name a few.  I hope to share those books - and their truly meaningful bookplates - with future children.  While some of your most used and favorite books will need to be replaced, so many others have stood alone, waiting for the love of a child.

So, back to today's trip to the bookstore.  I ran into a "Guess How Much I Love You" display that very well could have reduced me to a melted butterball of tears.  But, it didn't.  All I wanted to do was pick up the book and read it, and be thankful....so very, very thankful, for our nightly story time ritual.  I continue the ritual here every night as I sign off, and imagine I just might do this every night for eternity.  Or, until I get to hold you again.  You know why?  Because I love you soooooooooooo much.  To the moon and back!

- Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment