Friday, June 10, 2011

Dear Charlie - Can I Call You Charlie?

Peanut -

Wow.  The outpouring of support for our Peanut Letter Writing Campaign has been...well, overwhelming. Momma must admit, she's navigating these waters as she goes, so huge apologies if this feels klunky.  What I do know is we have an amazing, tremendous support network of people who have been touched by your life, your death, your story and your magic.  And, together we are going to work hard to make sure to effect change.  For now, in St. Louis County.  In the future, across the nation.  And from there, who knows?

I have included a link to my original letter, including the distribution list,  at the end of this posting.  It is in PDF format, which will hopefully work for most who want to print and send.  What I recommend is printing the letter, and, if you want, attaching your own personal note or cover.  You can send it just to Charlie Dooley, or you can also copy the full distribution list.  I believe the power of this campaign will be the impact of Dooley seeing this letter, these pictures, reading this same story, over and over and over and over.   You can print the letter in color.  Black and white.  Photocopy it.  Share with friends.  I want him to know this is more than one terribly sad, angry, bereaved parent.  This is a community rallying around the memory of one very special little Peanut, who deserved better.

Peanut, as I've worked on this letter this week, it has brought up so many memories of the morning we lost you.  Painful, awful memories I thought my mind had blurred and faded.  I was wrong.  But, I was also able to recall the wonderful kindness of the strangers we encountered that day who were true angels.  The Metro West EMTs.  The St. Luke's ER staff.  And, the friends and family who we already knew were wonderful people, but showed us a whole new level of love and support in our absolute worst hours.  These individuals changed me forever, and taught me a whole list of lessons about compassion.  I am thankful for those memories.

Finally, I saw another bright orange butterfly this afternoon in the side yard.  He landed on The Perfect Branch, on the chain that used to hold your swing.  And, at that very moment a breeze started to blow.  The chain swung back and forth as the butterfly hung on for the ride.  Then he took flight, landed on my shoulder, flapped his wings a few times, and flew into the sky.   Hello, Peanut.  Looks like you got my letter from earlier this week to the right people in heaven.  My smart boy.  I love you soooooo much.  You know how much?  To the moon and back!

- Momma

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B9-kPtaJg3TyMWFjYjg0OWUtMmU4YS00NGYyLTk2OWMtNDI3YTBmMWVjMDQx&hl=en_US&authkey=CL3MjIwD



1 comment:

  1. Lynn, your letter is the beginning of something positive, I just know, and we will do all we can to help see that this is brought to the attention of as many people as humanly possible.

    My love and respect,
    Trish

    ReplyDelete