Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Grooming the Peanut

Peanut -

Some of my very favorite memories of you - and what I miss the most on a daily and weekly basis - surround the routine, regular, day-to-day activities.  Things like shower time every other morning before school.  Breakfast time with your Cheerios and bananas.  Friday afternoons when we would eat lunch together after watching Yo Gabba Gabba!  The evening viewing of The Backyardigans.  Putting you in your jammies and reading bedtime stories.  Listening to you sleep on the baby monitor.  <sigh>

One thing I might miss more than any of the above...cutting your fingernails.  Odd, I know, but that was our special time on Saturdays.  From the time you were a brand new, little, bitty Peanut we had a routine.  Over time I gained your trust to the point that you almost looked forward to nail clipping time.  As you got older, I would sit you between my legs, and I would kiss the top of your head, breathing in your wonderful baby smell, while I carefully clipped your nails, finger by finger.  Even if you squirmed, all I had to do was kiss your neck, and you would settle down.

Another routine I miss observing - the moment Dadda would release your feet from your tennis shoes.  He usually did it while you were eating dinner in your high chair.  He would pull back the velcro fasteners, and you would start your little "Oh! Oh! Oh!" grunt while kicking your feet.  He'd pull off your shoes and socks, revealing those amazing Monkey Toes, and give your feet a proper rub-down which always brought squeals and laughter.   It was such a delight to watch.

Peanut, "delight" is just about the perfect word for you.  You made everything, every moment, special, joyful, delightful.  Or, in Peanut-speak: deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeligtful!  I love and miss you so very much...to the moon and back.

- Momma

1 comment:

  1. Lynn,
    I have been reading your for a while now. I echo the thoughts of your other readers, it makes me appreciate parenting a little more! I can only imagine how much you miss your Peanut and all the routine moments, but your words on your blog our inspiring. It seems your new routine of remembering your special Peanut through your blog have become a very good routine. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete