Monday, May 16, 2011

Goodnight Moon

Peanut -

Some of the sweetest memories I have from our too-brief time with you involve the evenings when Dadda put you to bed.  Normally, Dadda was in charge of wake-up duty and I took bedtime duty, but every once in a while he would get the opportunity to dress you in your jammies and read you a bedtime story.  Since "Guess How Much I Love You" was Momma's turf, Dadda claimed his own bedtime book for you - "Goodnight Moon."

I used to love to hover outside the door, listening to him read to you.  He would point out every illustration in the book, using lots of funny voices and noises.  You would watch him as he read, gazing at him with love and wonder - and an occasional giggle.  In those moments I would marvel at how perfect life was, how complete.  My two peas in a pod, making me love you both more every single day.

Oh, how I miss watching you and Dadda together.  Peanut, you showed me a side of him I never would have known - never could have known - without your very special time on this earth.  It's another ripple in the Peanut Effect.  In both your life and your loss, you have shown me just how special Dadda is, and just how much I love him.

At the end of "Goodnight Moon" Dadda would always read:


Goodnight stars
Goodnight air
Goodnight noises everywhere...
And gooooooooooodnight Peanut!


So, that's how I'm going to end tonight's post.  I love you.  To the moon and back, my Peanut.
- Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment