Friday, August 19, 2011

Lessons From An Old Peanut Soul

Peanut -

"Eyes are the mirror of the soul."  (Proverb)

I've seen and heard this quote, this proverb, phrased in a number of different ways - eyes are the window into the soul, the reflection of the soul - but I prefer this one.  Primarily because it expresses the sentiments of all the variations, but in a more succinct, beautiful way.

From the time you were born, I often commented on your wise eyes, knowledgable expressions, and your seemingly old soul.  Your incredible attention span, ability to get the joke along with the adults, sense people's emotions with the accuracy of an empath - these all made you truly remarkable in my eyes.

In the months since your death I've had ample opportunity - and a desperate need - to reflect on what a wise soul you truly were and are...what some spiritual or religious beliefs refer to as a "crystal child" or an "old soul."  The theory being these individuals, these souls, have come to earth for a purpose or with a special meaning.  Normally to teach us something, to share love, goodwill, or to achieve something great.  Now, what the death of an old soul means is more conflicted.  Some say these individuals pass on once they have accomplished their goal or greatness.  Others don't really speak to it, assuming these souls live "normal" lives and go on to do a great many remarkable things (examples: DaVinci, Walt Whitman, Bach).

Peanut, I believe you died well before you were meant to, and that you had many, many great accomplishments in your future.  But, I also believe you did achieve greatness in your short time on this earth - and beyond.  You taught me and everyone you touched so many valuable lessons:
To express love without reservation.  
To give fierce, powerful hugs to those you love, and to people who look like they just need a hug.  
To laugh often, with gusto.  
To try every kind of food put in front of you, even if you didn't like it the last time.
To dance, dance, dance even if everyone is looking.
To read books.  Lots of books.
To be patient, try again and again, and eventually you will succeed.
To have a best friend, even if it is a froggy security blanket.
To start every day with an excited smile, and end every night with a really great bedtime story.

I'm sure there are many more, but these are the highlights in my mind tonight.  Peanut, you have made me a better person.  You made me a Momma - the best role of my life.  Your impact, your Peanut Effect, touches and amazes me every single day.  I love you with all my heart, all my soul, and every fiber of my being.  To the moon and back!

- Momma



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful sentiment and I truly believe they are angels walking on the Earth as well...much love and hugs sent your way...
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete