Thursday, November 17, 2011

Lonely Kitteh Kah

Peanut -

Most mornings when Momma leaves for work, Zeke The Cat is curled up, fast asleep on our bed after a night of frolicking with his cat friends.  But every once in a while, he's nowhere to be found.  I've always assumed he's skulking around the house, asleep in the basement, or up in one of the other bedrooms.  Until this morning.

While I always call out, "Bye Peanut!" when I leave for work, this morning I had a strong urge to sit in your bedroom for a few minutes before starting my commute.  But, when I walked into your room the chair was already occupied!  There was Zeke, curled up in a ball, ready to spend the day sleeping in your room, surrounded by smells and reminders of his Peanut-friend.

Sometimes I wonder if Zeke understands what has happened.  I know he misses you.  In the first weeks, and even months, after your passing I would find Zeke crying in your room.  Or wandering around the house looking for you.  Before we dismantled your crib, I would often find him napping in your sleep spot.  I guess I just figured that phase had passed.

But, then I have to remember just how much you loved Zeke.  I mean, one of your very first phrases was, "Hi, Kitteh Kah!"  Followed, of course, by you whacking him on the head while Momma warned, "Gentle...be gentle, 'Nut."  But he loved it - he must have, because he always came back for more.

Picturing the sheer delight on your face whenever you got to play with Zeke makes me smile from ear-to-ear.  I hope that sometimes you visit Zeke while he's seeking you out.  Maybe you guys play a little hide 'n' seek.  And then you give him a "gentle" pat on the head.

I love and miss you, Peanut.  We all do.  To the moon and back.

- Momma


No comments:

Post a Comment